We must understand that the books of the Bible are not compiled in chronological order. They are placed in order by subject as follows:
1. Law – Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy
2. History – Joshua, Judges, Ruth, 1 and 2 Samuel, 1 and 2 Kings, 1 and 2 Chronicles, Ezra, Nehemiah, Esther
3. Poetry – Job, Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Solomon (In Hebrew, these were in poetry form.)
4. Major Prophets (the big books) – Isaiah, Jeremiah, Lamentations, Ezekiel, Daniel
5. Minor Prophets (the smaller books) – Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Jonah, Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zechariah, Malachi
B. The New Testament
1. Gospels – Matthew, Mark, Luke, John
2. History – Acts
3. Paul’s Letters
a. To the churches – Romans, 1 and 2 Corinthians, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, 1 and 2 Thessalonians
b. To the Pastors – 1 and 2 Timothy, Titus
c. To his friend – Philemon
d. To the Jews – Hebrews
4. Other General Letters – James, 1 and 2 Peter, 1, 2, and 3 John, Jude
5. Prophecy – Revelation
Conclusion of the Doctrine of the Bible
I believe in the verbal, plenary (comprehensive, full in all respects), inspired word of God, without error. It is my primary source for information concerning God, His church, and it is the final authority in all matters of faith and practice. I believe that God controlled the mind and hand of the writers of His word. I believe this accuracy to be extended to every portion of the Bible, so that it is infallible as to truth and final as to divine authorship.
I further believe that Jesus Christ is the central person and theme of this whole book. If we see Jesus Christ, the Son of God and God the Son throughout the study of its pages, our conclusions will probably be accurate.
All success in the Christian faith must be tied to this book.
“This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.” (Joshua 1:8)
“Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.” 2 Timothy 2:15