The Third Heaven
This is the current heaven where God dwells. Although this is a glorious place, this is not the New Heaven described in Revelation 21 and 22.
The third heaven is called a city. It was said of Abraham, “For he looked for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God. (Hebrews 11:10) We also should be like Abraham, “For here have we no continuing city, but we seek one to come.” (Hebrews 13:14)
This city is described in Hebrews 12:22-24 “But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels, To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect, And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.”
The third heaven is also called a country. Hebrews 11:16 “But now they desire a better country, that is, an heavenly: wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city.”
The third heaven is called Paradise. Paradise refers to forests, orchards, preserves, and enclosed gardens. It comes from the Hebrew word pardec. Examples are found in Nehemiah 2:8 “And a letter unto Asaph the keeper of the king’s forest, that he may give me timber to make beams for the gates of the palace which appertained to the house, and for the wall of the city, and for the house that I shall enter into. And the king granted me, according to the good hand of my God upon me.” Ecclesiastes 2:5 “I made me gardens and orchards, and I planted trees in them of all kind of fruits:” Song of Solomon 4:13 “Thy plants are an orchard of pomegranates, with pleasant fruits; camphire, with spikenard,” Whether a person likes the city, country, forests, orchards, preserves, or gardens, Heaven will be a paradise! It will be bliss.
There may be golden streets and pearly gates in this third heaven, but we are not told that. That is the future heaven or New Heaven. It is a paradise though. Paradise is a New Testament word (Greek:Paradeisos) found in the following three texts:
- Luke 23:43 “And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.”
- 2 Corinthians 12:4 “How that he was caught up into paradise, and heard unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter.”
- Revelation 2:7 “He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.”
Because of the Tree of Life being present there, some have called the original Garden of Eden Paradise, though the Bible does not state this.
Next Entry – Paul’s and Isaiah’s Witness of the Third Heaven
- Hebrews 11-13 by Alli G (obterns2013.wordpress.com)
- What will heaven be like? (warfordfamily.wordpress.com)
- Sermon: Heaven (Home of Every Child of God) (drtimwhite.com)
- Going to Heaven (thoughtzfrommyheart.wordpress.com)